The businessman and founder Pere Ventura
Pere Ventura is a respected businessman in the wine industry and a good example of a self-made man. He is married and has four children. He comes from a family closely associated with the wine trade and has dedicated his entire life to starting his own businesses and acquiring and increasing the value of his wineries.
Today, he owns several wineries in four appellations of origin, all located in Catalonia in northeastern Spain.
Pere Ventura FWE was founded in 1992 in Sant Sadurní d'Anoia. Primarily sparkling wines are produced. Pere Ventura acquired the Can Bas wine estate in 2011 in order to preserve the historical heritage of one of the most important wine estates of the Penedès appellation and to protect it for future generations. In 2013, Merum Priorati was added, from the Priorat wine region.
Respect for work and sustainability at Pere Ventura
The winemakers who work Pere Ventura 's vineyards are locals who know the land and take great effort and pride in caring for it. Their work is respected and valued above all else. All Pere Ventura estates are non-irrigated and when there is a risk of overproduction, vegetation cover is used as a self-regulating production method. There is little intervention with the vines, as Pere Ventura prefers to respect each vineyard's own ecology. The few treatments applied follow the criteria of organic farming and integrated management. Most efforts are focused on the use of preventive methods to ward off fungal diseases (mould, botrytis, etc.) and fertilizers are kept to a minimum through strict control of the use of vegetation cover. Pruning, leaf thinning and green pruning are carried out in all Pere Ventura vineyards. To ensure proper ripening of the grapes, excess bunches are often pulled from the vines at the beginning of veraison (ripening). Weeds are controlled through cultural practices that avoid the use of machinery whenever possible to minimize soil compaction and gas emissions. In controlled vineyards, Pere Ventura guarantees long-term contracts to all local growers.
Other sustainability measures at Pere Ventura include:
- Consumption of fuel, water and electricity is minimized as much as possible.
- Purchases are made from local suppliers to keep transportation to a minimum and thus achieve a smaller carbon footprint.
- At harvest time, grapes are hand picked at daybreak to save energy in cooling the grapes as they are brought into the winery.
- Energy consumption is optimized as much as possible to reduce gases and CO2.
- Work is carried out according to the principle of environmental sustainability, using natural daylight to illuminate the work areas in the offices.
- Organic farming and integrated pest and disease management is practiced.
- The underground construction of most Pere Ventura wineries ensures that the wines are naturally kept at the correct temperature and this also helps to avoid visual pollution of the landscape.
Facts and figures about Pere Ventura
- associated wineries: Pere Ventura, Can Bas Domini Vinicola, Merum Priorati
- grape varieties used for the production of cava and wines: 14
- Vineyard area under the supervision of Pere Ventura: 328
- Year of foundation of the oldest plot in the Pere Ventura group: 1369
More information aboutPere Ventura
|Company Name:||Pere Ventura FWE|
|Street:||Ctra. de Vilafranca c-243a|
|City:||08770 Sant Sadurní d'Anoia|
|Contact & Web|
|Telephone:||+34 93 818 33 71|
|Year of Incorporation:||1992|
|Cellarmaster:||Beth Paladí, Sebastia Galimani|